The transition from pessimism to optimism is extremely hard, cause the pessimist doesn't believe it's possible. A self-perpetuating state...a negative feedback system. So change depends on a momentary forgetfulness of that state: positivity sees it's chance and swoops triumphantly, and you're miraculously borne upwards into another plane of being.
Talking of this kind of reminds me of something i read in philosophy last semester. Something about how humans elevated consciosness give objects meaning. Implying that before we evolved, gracing the planet with our reflexive minds, everything was worthless. Or at least theoretically. Cause we attribute them meaning.
I don't like this perspective. It's bloody anthropocentric. I like to think of objects having innate value. That there's some glade in the woods that has never been appraised by the critical human eye, and yet still thrums with worth. Hey, forget glad in the woods. What about the frickin universe-minus-the-mote-that-is-earth?? Sheesh.
Hmm. How was that at all related to how i started off? I forget.
I'm listening to an english lecture write now (this keyboard scuffling = concentration blip) and there's this phrase she keeps using over and over that sounds so snooty that i want to jab that computer screen every time i hear it: 'as it were'. What does it even mean? Who the f uses it nowdays? AS IT WERE.
'Let me introduce a new way of unpacking, or as it were, decomposing these textual economies'.
BLEH. Really. Seriously? What are you like?
Is the pot calling the kettle black? But i dont' do that. Here, quickly, here: i make a standing oath: i shall never EVER say 'as it were'.
All right then. I've had my spiel.
As you were.
No comments:
Post a Comment